Doug's solo sojourn. March 2016
Video's:So while Joannie visited friends and family in California, I packed up for a quick multi-sport trip to the Death Valley/Las Vegas area.
Some of the things I learned or re-learned on this trip.
- People really DON'T know how to shit in the woods. (Or in this case, desert)
- Don't forget your sunscreen!
- Death Valley is not the only place experiencing a super bloom.
- Mylar party balloons end up in the most otherwise pristine areas you can possibly imagine. Resist the urge to use them.
- Somebody is missing a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone I retrieved from the bottom of the river.
- I still hate plastic water bottles for use in the U.S. Resist the urge to use them. Really, if you don't live in Flint, how bad do you really NEED someone else to bottle your water?? Rather than me go on a diatribe, just google alternatives to bottled water.
- You'll find natural beauty in the most unlikely places.
- Don't buy the 'Manager's special' in the meat department.
- Yakima kayak tie down straps pretty much suck.
- Bighorn Sheep are amazing!
- There's usually someone better than you at the thing you do best. Unless you're Alex Honnold or Tommy Caldwell.
Canyon descent: Pagan, near Eureka Dunes, Death Valley
River paddled: Colorado below Hoover Dam, aka Black Canyon
Trail ridden: Bootleg Canyon trail system, Boulder City Nevada
|Dropping into the canyon|
|Looking back up into the upper narrows|
|The final rappel|
|Leaving camp in the morning|
|We're not the first ones here|
|The Frogman Petroglyph|
|Riding buddy at Bootleg Canyon|